We are delighted to announce the following awards to recognise excellence at the 2021 Middlesex Research Students’ Summer Conference.
Poster Presentation Prizes
Best Poster Presentations of the Conference
- Reem El Baba. Exploring the lived experiences of hearing mothers of Deaf children in Lebanon: A phenomenological study (Department: Psychotherapy and Counselling).
- James Collins. A survey into the use of priming techniques implemented by athletes and coaches to improve athletic performance (Department: Sports Science).
Outstanding Poster Presentations
- Neha Nitika Nathaniel, Ghadat Elayat, Richard Bayford and Sandra Appiah. Antibody-based biosensors for the detection tau and visinin-like protein 1 as an investigative device for monitoring Alzheimer’s disease progression (Department: Natural Sciences).
- Shannah Anico, Lizi Smith, Laura Wilson, Emma Eyre and Danny Holmes. The effectiveness of school-based running programmes (S-BRP) on physical literacy and physical activity components: A systematic review and meta-analysis (Department: Sports Science).
- Kajal Mistry. Making the world smarter using Technology: Use of IoT for Children’s Independent Mobility & Children`s Well-being (Department: Computer Science).
- Tareq Saadoon Aldlimi, Costas Priporas, Shing-Wang Chan, Franco Beschizza. I want to be verified too! Influencer marketing on Snapchat and the role of verification status (Department: Marketing).
- Leanne Myers. A discursive examination of the role of the psychologist when working collaboratively with Probation Officers on the Offender ‘Personality Disorder’ (OPD) Pathway (Metanoia Institute).
- Xiang Yao, Christopher Curtis, Anthony Turner, Chris Bishop, Alex Austerberry and Shyam Chavda. Anthropometric Profiles and Physical Characteristics in Competitive Female English Premiership Rugby Union Players (Department: Sports Science).
- Esther Pozzani. An exploration of the motivations of counsellors working in primary schools (Metanoia Institute).
Oral Presentation Prizes
Best Oral Presentation of the Conference
Jack Suparman, Ajit J. Shah, Richard Bayford and Darshna Yagnik. Development of LC-MS/MS method for measurement of biomarkers for early detection and monitoring of sepsis (Department: Natural Sciences).
Outstanding Oral Presentations
- Michael Eden. The Reproachful Head of the Green Knight (Department: Art and Design)
- Ewa Dalek-Trudnowska. Impact of COVID-19 pandemic on the implementation of Artificial Intelligence systems and the future of work (Department: Law).
- Sam Hepenstal, Leishi Zhang and William Wong. An Evaluation of System Transparency to Support Intellectual Judgements (Department: Computer Science).
- Alejandra Gonzalez, Leonardo Pantoja, Hemda Garelick and Diane Purchase. Bioleaching of rare earth elements (REE) from electronic waste: a greener approach for the recovery of critical materials (Department: Natural Sciences).
- Vicki Jackman-Galvin. Relationships and Power: A thematic analysis of the social processes that impact the lives of adults with intellectual disabilities in residential services (Metanoia Institute).
- Margarita Chacin Fuenmayor. The Forgotten Parent: exploration of the lived experience of fathers during the early childhood of their first-born (Metanoia Institute).
- Rahaman Mohammed. Becoming a Social Worker: Learning Social Work Practice in the Placement Environment (Department: Social Work and Mental Health).
- Dionysios Sourelis. A search for meaning during financial crisis: An interpretative phenomenological study of highly educated and unemployed Greek young professionals (New School of Psychotherapy and Counselling).
- Tija Hubej. A Mixed Methods Investigation in Physical Activity in Carers for those with Dementia (Department: Sports Science).
- Kaan Low, Helen Roberts, Frank Hills and Britta Stordal. Development and Characterisation of Multi-Drug Resistant Osteosarcoma Cell Lines (Department: Natural Sciences).
- Regina Foard. The Role Of Cultural Intelligence, Xenophobia, and Other Factors on Engagement Capacity of Church Leaders with Migrant Communities in the U.S. (Department: Theology).
- Najat El Mahdy. An Exploration of the Human Resource Management Landscape: Professionalisation in the context of the Qatar National Vision 2030 (Transcidisciplinary DProf).
- Thanh Nguyen. Effects of Metacognitive Reading Strategy Instruction on L2 Reading Comprehension and Motivation: A Meta-Analysis and An Empirical Investigation (Department: Media).
- Jwaad Hussain. A robot assistant for music therapy session (Department: Design, Engineering and Mathematics).
- Yathushigan Kulatheepan, Beata Burczynska, Stephen Baines, Richard Meeson and Helen Roberts. Analysis of Autophagy in Canine Osteosarcoma (Department: Natural Sciences).
- Adam Philpot. User Experience of 360° video: The development of a conceptual framework (Department: Computer Science).
- Alexandre Villiere, Barry Mason, Nimai Parmar, Niamh Maguire, Danny Holmes and Anthony Turner. The Physical Characteristics Underpinning Performance of Wheelchair Fencing Athletes: A Delphi Study of Paralympic Coaches (Department: Sports Science).
- Stefan V. Mihai. Improving efficiency and productivity in Industry 4.0 through Digital Twins (Department: Design, Engineering and Mathematics).
- Emmanuel Portelli and Mark Borg. Detecting Illicit Cryptocurrency Transactions (Department: Computer Science).
- Patrycja Brodka, Rocco Venizelos, Frank Hills and Lygeri Dimitriou. Clinical evaluation of Boswellia serrata, Curcuma longa and Vitis vinifera in patients with osteoarthritis. A prospective, double-blind, placebo controlled, crossover study (Department: Natural Sciences).
- Ivan Punev. DNA methylation profile of chorionic gonadotropin beta genes in non-trophoblastic cancers (Department: Natural Sciences).
- Ruth Gyereh and Zhanzhong Shi. Investigating the anti-leukaemic effect of Antimicrobial Peptides and the underlying mechanisms (Department: Natural Sciences).
- Ioana Crivatu, Miranda Horvath and Jeffrey DeMarco. Deciding to not rape in groups. A qualitative account from experts and professionals (Department: Psychology).
Congratulations to all the very deserving winners!